Facebook Events app comes to Android
Facebook’s standalone Events app that launched in October on iOS is launching on Android today. The Facebook Events app helps you browse nearby happenings, see the dates of your upcoming Facebook Events as well as imported calendars and aggregates wall posts and alerts from Events to declutter your main app’s notifications.
The Events app hasn’t proven too popular on iOS, oscillating between No. 250 and No. 500 on the U.S. social networking apps chart, according to App Annie. But massive usage was never the goal. The app is designed to help Facebook’s extroverts and event promoters better discover and manage events. That trickles down to a better experience for everyone else as these users invite friends to events using Facebook.
If Facebook can boost overall usage of its Events feature, no matter how people get to it, it could solidify one of its biggest differentiators versus competitors. No other social app has a vibrant events community, while event platforms like Eventbrite lack full-fledged social features. Plus, if Facebook can demonstrate that it’s the go-to place to discover what’s going on locally, it could attract more ad dollars from event promoters.
More info about the app :
Our new name is Facebook Local! We’ve updated our events app to help you discover places and things to do recommended by friends you know and trust.
Keep up with what’s happening locally—wherever you are—whether you’re looking for something to do with friends this weekend or want to explore a new neighborhood.
* See the most recent activity, events and places your friends are interacting with and updates from event hosts and Pages you follow.
* Find events and activities happening near you on an interactive map and filter by time, category, location and more.
* Get recommendations based on what’s popular with your friends, things you’ve been to in the past, Pages you like and our curated Guides.
* Choose to add calendars from your phone to see all of your plans in one place.
* Opt-in to get notifications about your upcoming events so you know if details change.